The Learning Lamp, Penn Highlands Community College Unveil Memorial ScholarshipPosted on September 19, 2023
Johnstown, PA (September 21, 2023) – The Learning Lamp is proud to introduce the Brandy Horner Memorial Scholarship in collaboration with Pennsylvania Highlands Community College. This scholarship is established in loving memory of Brandy Horner, a cherished member of The Learning Lamp early learning team, and a dedicated educator and advocate for child care in the region.
The Brandy Horner Scholarship, valued at $1,000 annually ($500 per semester), is designed to support and empower students pursuing careers in Early Childhood Education (ECE) or Education at Penn Highlands. Eligible candidates will have the opportunity to receive financial assistance to further their education and carry forward Brandy Horner’s legacy of commitment to early childhood education and child care support.
To be eligible for the Brandy Horner Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Special consideration will be given to mothers from Somerset County.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aide (FAFSA).
- Complete the Pennsylvania Highlands Community College Scholarship Application and Essay.
- Be matriculated in Early Childhood Education (A.A.) or Education (A.A.)
- Preferences will be given to students in ECE.
- Be registered as a full- or part-time student.
- Have unmet tuition and fees not covered by grants and scholarships.
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Have demonstrated service to the College through involvement in a recognized student club/organization or some other officially recognized College service activity.
- First-year students can cite service to high school-level clubs and activities with the intent to pursue at Penn Highlands.
Student Financial Services at Penn Highlands will review the final applications to determine financial need based on tuition fees and other factors, as requested by the scholarship donor.
The Brandy Horner Memorial Scholarship stands as a testament to Brandy’s enduring impact on early childhood education and her dedication to nurturing future educators. Through this scholarship, her memory will continue to inspire and support students as they pursue their education degrees.
For more information about the scholarship and application details, please contact Student Financial Services at Pennsylvania Highlands Community College at 814-262-6454, or visit https://www.pennhighlands.edu/admissions/financial-aid/.
The Learning Lamp is a nonprofit organization with a mission to engage all children in the support they need to succeed. We deliver high-quality programs that are affordable and accessible to families of all income levels. In 2022, The Learning Lamp served 34,813 youth/adults from 61 public school districts and 70 other schools and organizations in 22 Pennsylvania counties.
Our programs include: child care and preschool, after-school programs, tutoring, SAT prep, school staffing, alternative education programs for at-risk students, online learning, credit recovery, drug and alcohol prevention programs, and grant writing and project consulting for schools.